Subject: Re: This List Abused
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/05/2001 15:29:03
gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>  wrote:
 > On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 01:46:31PM +0100, T@W wrote:
 > > How comes that this netbsd list is and has been abused for some time now by
 > > spammers.
 > >  Leaving the ports open is real good advertisement for this platform. (lol)
 > > Makes me wonder, really really wonder. :<.
 >
 > That is and has been a function of how the NetBSD lists work.
 >
 > It means one does not need to be subscribed to a list to post to it,
 > which is arguably a good thing (say, replying to crosspostings
 > involving some tech-* list you're not subscribed to).

I still think TRT to do is "if you're subscribed to _any_ netbsd list,
and/or subscribed to a post-only list with any of your email addresses,
then you can post to any netbsd list".  I believe it's fairly easy to
set that up.

I think that covers all the relevant cases:

	- I don't subscribe to port-foo but I want to be able to crosspost.
	- I sometimes post from my work address but want to receive only
	  at my home address.
	- I read my mailing lists via usenet but post via email.

But TPTB don't seem to be interested in anything like that. <shrug>