Subject: Re: This List Abused
To: T@W <lsp93@xs4all.nl>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/05/2001 17:25:01
On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 01:46:31PM +0100, T@W wrote:
> How comes that this netbsd list is and has been abused for some time now by
> spammers.
>  Leaving the ports open is real good advertisement for this platform. (lol)
> Makes me wonder, really really wonder. :<.

That is and has been a function of how the NetBSD lists work.

It means one does not need to be subscribed to a list to post to it,
which is arguably a good thing (say, replying to crosspostings
involving some tech-* list you're not subscribed to).

I'm actually against the policy too, but it's not changing any time
soon, I don't think.

The first time a new one of these spammers shows up, they get
blocked from list access specifically pretty promptly. (At least, so
far as I've been able to tell.)

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net