Subject: msdos fs problems
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: tseeger <tseeger@addcom.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/05/2001 21:28:55
Hello,

I am trying to install 1.5 on a 486 laptop equipped with 4MB RAM. I am
dependent on fetching the distribution sets from a msdos partition. Reading
small files (for e.g. autoconf.bat) from that partition is O.K. ls(1) even
works. While accessing larger files (etc.tgz is enough) the hdd led is lit
for 2 seconds and then the system stalls. Sometimes the console is working
further. After a short time the apm (or anybody else) is spinning down the
disk. I use the INSTALL_TINY kernel, anything else doesnt work. Apart from
that sysinst(8) works fine. BTW, installing via network, cdrom, tape etc. is
not possible coz lack of hardware. What to do to get the sets?

Bye
Thomas