Subject: NetBSD/1.5 tries to boot from wd0 instead of sd0
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ray Phillips <r.phillips@mailbox.uq.edu.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/02/2001 12:15:48
Dear NetBSD/i386:

I've a nasty feeling that this is a FAQ but haven't been able find anything
relevant on the Web site.

I've installed NetBSD/i386 1.5 onto a PC which has two SCSI hard drives but
no IDE ones (and an IDE CD-ROM drive).  (I booted from the two floppies and
had sysinst obtain the required sets by ftp.)  After the installation I
tried to boot in single user mode and found that it tries to boot from wd0
instead of sd0.

For the record, these are the first few messages written to the console:

NCR SDMS (TM) V3.0 53C8XX SCSI  BIOS, PCI Rev. 2.0
Copyright 1993 NCR Corporation
PCI208XX-3.00.07
ID 00 QUANTUM LIGHTNING 540S
ID 06 QUANTUM LIGHTNING 540S

Use hd1a:netbsd to boot sd0 when wd0 is also installed

booting wd0a:netbsd - starting in 0
netbsd: Inappropriate file type of format
boot:wd0a:netbsd : Inappropriate file type of format
booting wd0a:netbsd.gz
open netbsd.gz: No such file or directory
boot:wd0a:netbsd.gz: No such file or directory
booting wd0a:netbsd.old - starting in 0
open netbsd.old: No such file or directory
booting wd0a:netbsd.old.gz
open netbsd.old.gz: No such file or directory

Afterwards I rebooted from the floppies, ran the shell, and mounted
/dev/sd0a and /dev/sd0e under /mnt and /mnt2 successfully.  Both of these
partitions are populated by the files I expected to see there.

What haven't I done that I should have, or perhaps there's a compatibility
problem with my NCR SCSI controller?

Ray