Subject: Re: About NetBSD server tuning! - Suggestions gratefully solicited
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <sudog@sudog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/26/2001 11:40:43
hello folks--so as my final bit I'd like to know if there are any
other suggestions for pulling up the performance on my
tens-of-millions-of-hits-a-day NetBSD servers..  Here's what I've got
so far:

1. basic kernel tuning NKMEMPAGES, NMBCLUSTERS, etc based on avail ram
2. put most-accessed stuff on non-RAID partitions
3. pull in mod_perl and mod_cgi to my apache daemons.

Any comments on the wisdom of turning on softdeps?
Running the unified buffer cache in -current?
Increasing disk-caching percentage-of-avail-ram?

Course, re-writing a system that would be a drop-in replacement for
UBB might be a good idea. Ha ha, a C-based bulletin board...

Thanks all,

Marc Tooley