Subject: Re: Ethernet PCI 10/100 suggestions?
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/24/2001 19:16:51
On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 11:57:10PM -0800, Mike Cheponis wrote:
> Hi, what is the best PCI 10/100 TP Ethernet Card to use with NetBSD 1.5, where
> "best" means "uses least amount of CPU overhead"?
>
> (I'm pretty sure this rules out NE2000-type cards!)

I just anserwed this in another list :)

I'm happy with SMC EtherpowerII (based on the Epic100), and Dec 21143-based
ethernet. I guess other adapters such as 3com (but I ruled out 3com because
of their habit of changing products every 6 months), or intel will be OK
as well.

The adapter with the potential lowest CPU overhead is certainly the new
1000baseT GA620 from netgear (yes it's a gigabit adapter, but it can do
100baseTX too :) It can do IP/TCP/UDP checksums onboard. Unfortunably the
NetBSD driver doesn't use this fearture yet, but I plan to work on this
(I have the fiber version of the GA620 in servers). However it uses the
hardware 802.1q vlan tagging, so if you plan to use 802.1q it's still a win :)

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>