Subject: Re: About NetBSD server tuning!
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/24/2001 08:09:42
On 23 Feb 2001, at 19:12, wojtek@wojtek.from.pl wrote:

> i know that SCSI is better but the problem is in overshooted
> prices... 2-3 times than similar IDE..
>
> or maybe only in Poland? :(

Hi,

no here too.

A solution was to get one of the newer IDE Raid controllers
supported under NetBSD. They have 4 to 6 independent ATA/100
channels (each channel supports only one drive), a CPU to calculate
parity information and cache. They are i2o compatible. They should
be as performant as SCSI solutions, but a single raid can only have
6 drives where a 3 channel SCSI raid controller could have up to 42
drives.

I have not gotten my hands on one of them, but if they come, they
should make fine solutions.

mike