Subject: Re: Netvista does not boot on ISO image.
To: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/23/2001 09:53:38
On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Thomas Mueller wrote:

: >I have a feeling that your laptop only understands 1.44MB El Torito boot
: >images on the CD's.  I'm working to implement a better boot method that uses
: >only a 1.44MB image file to work around all the broken BIOS's.

: It would also be nice to have a boot method capable of handling image files too
: big to fit on 3.5" HD diskette, i.e. > 1.44 MB.

Multifloppy boot methods already exist.

The problem with CD-ROM booting is that some BIOSes don't follow the El
Torito specs and only work with 1.44MB boot images.  The workaround will be
to create a boot image containing only a modified bootloader (which loads a
full size kernel file from the CD-ROM disk).  There's a good bit of work to
be done here.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/