Subject: Re: None
To: Paul Seymour <pts@bom.gov.au>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/23/2001 08:08:27
A tiny correction: NetBSD/i386 1.5 ships with XFree86 3.3.6, not
3.3.3.  Not that that helps you a whole lot.  (^&

XFree86 4.x can be run on NetBSD/i386.  You can download the sources or a
binary install set from XFree86.org, or a mirror thereof.  I ran 4.0 under
NetBSD/i386 1.5_ALPHA from last August till December.  I found that there
were numerous small wrinkles in using 4.x, and absolutely no benefit for
me.  So, when I upgraded from 1.5_ALPHA to 1.5 proper, I reverted to the
stock XFree86 3.3.6 that ships with NetBSD.

If you upgrade X, you should be prepared to rebuild any/all packages that
you've installed from pkgsrc.  (In fact, to minimize trouble, I would
suggest doing a make clean in pkgsrc and deleting all installed packages,
installing the new version of X, then building all desired packages from
scratch.  While many packages won't depend upon X, it's probably more
trouble than it's worth to figure out which ones don't need rebuilding.
Also, if you're using a nice, fast graphics card, you presumably have a
nice, fast CPU, so rebuilding your packages isn't such an onus.)

Make sure that you know what packages you want to (re)install before you
delete all of the ones that you currently have.  (ls /var/db/pkg, and send
the output to a file, say.  Then you can use the listing as a guide for
re-building later.  Note that some packages (e.g., Mesa) won't need to be
rebuilt with XFree86 4.x, since 4.x includes those libraries.)

(If you haven't yet built/installed any packages, then that's that much
less to deal with...)

Good luck, and have fun.  Not necessarily in that order.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu