Subject: Re: Ethernet [MAC] addresses
To: Stefan Huelbrock <s.huelbrock@biodata.de>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/23/2001 01:59:25
>> 	- when we try to configure for "high-availability" for IPv4, we need
>> 	  more clever ARP table (which maps peer's MAC address and the MAC
>> 	  address we have used).
>I don't see exactly why... IPv4 implementation don't care which MAC is
>presented to them as long as the IP stays the same (imagine you have a
>network with several redundant routers and the dynamic routing changes. If
>the MAC address would matter all TCP conenctions would break.)

	but you don't want to fill your peers' /var/log with "mac address
	changed from X to Y".

	I guess I was trying to think about different setup from yours.
	you are talking about having two machines act as a single node,
	I was talking about single machine with two interfaces, and make
	the interfaces act as a single interface.

itojun