Subject: Re: Ethernet [MAC] addresses
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/22/2001 09:26:48
	Actually, Solaris' version of ifconfig lets you sub in a new mac address
for your machine.  While you wouldn't normally care about being able to
perform this trick, it turns out that it is useful for testing ethernet
switches to find out what happens when you fill their content address
memories with mac addresses.  Some switches begin flooding all packets to
all ports, while others clam up completely.  It's not clear to me that
NetBSD's version of ifdconfig allows one to perform this sort of
skulduggery.
-Brian