Subject: Re: Ethernet [MAC] addresses
To: Mark White <mark.white@st-edmund-hall.oxford.ac.uk>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@dingo.ping.net.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/22/2001 22:03:14
Mark White wrote
> Can somebody enlighten me: is it possible to change the
> ethernet [MAC, ie xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx] address of a network
> interface?
>
> It looks [from the ifconfig(8) manpage] like setting the
> ethernet address  should be possible in a similar way to
> setting IP address, but I can't seem to figure out the
> syntax.  [On linux boxen, I've previously done this with the
> "hw" option to ifconfig]

AFAIK, you can't... MAC addresses are uniques numbers assigned to NICs at
time of production by the manufacturer.

I can't see the point of wanting to change this, but you must have
your reasons... perhaps you can enlighten me on this one...

cheerio Berndt
--
Name    : Berndt Josef Wulf            | +++ With BSD on Packet Radio +++
E-Mail  : wulf@ping.net.au             |    tfkiss, tnt, dpbox, wampes