Subject: Re: Highpoint HPT370 IDE raid controller
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/18/2001 16:15:04
On 18 Feb 2001, at 0:16, Andrew Gillham wrote:

> Well, it would be nice to have NetBSD able to share the "drive" with
> other HPT RAID aware operating systems.

Hi,

I think the problem here is the policy of the manufacturer. Working
together with Promise I found they had the problem, that their
standard IDE controller differs only in having one resistor less and
the lack of the Bios software to the raid controller. Even today
companies sell modified ide controllers (one additional resistor
soldered and the bios flashed with the raid software) as raid
controllers. If they would give away information about their software
and it was implemented in a driver, there was no need to buy the
raid controller anymore, because you had the same functionality
with their standard IDE controller.

I suppose the same is true for the other IDE Raid controllers.

mike