Subject: RE: Highpoint HPT370 IDE raid controller
To: Grant Beattie <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/17/2001 14:40:52
	I think win2k has a built-in driver which allows it to emulate
raid in software and which is fooling you into thinking you're using a
hardware based solution.
-Brian
On Feb 18,  9:48pm, "Grant Beattie" wrote:
} Hmm. If it were a "real" hardware raid controller, no OS should be able to see
} the disks separately (because it's one big pseudo-device).
}
} I just found it strange that it worked under Win2k (with no drivers
} installed), but NetBSD saw them as separate disks.
}
} any form of striping/mirroring/etc will be faster in hardware than software,
} though, surely (?)regardless of OS..
}
} g.
}
} > i think netbsd does not support hardware raid on this.
} >
} > if you want to use stripping use ccd driver as it should not be any speed
} > difference. stripping do not need any additional data processing (no
} > checksums etc.) so any hardware assistance will not speed it up
}