Subject: Re: Highpoint HPT370 IDE raid controller
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kent Polk <kent@tiamat.goathill.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/17/2001 18:05:24
On 17 Feb 2001 11:05:00 -0600, wojtek@wojtek.from.pl wrote:
>> Understand that unless the ccd driver isn't included in the install
>> kernel, you will have a bit of a problem every time you want to
>> upgrade your OS unless you make sure that your ccd partitions are
>> unaffected by an os upgrade.
>>
>> I ccd-striped two 4.5G IBM scsi drives but boot off of a non-ccd
>> drive and I love the performance but since /usr is on ccd, it sure
>> is a pain to upgrade...
>
>what a problem to compile new kernel version, boot from it and then
>upgrade whole system?

 From what? AFAIK, it's a chicken and egg problem, especially when
doing something like moving from 1.4x to 1.5x where you can't
compile a 1.5 kernel until you have installed it and you can't
install it because... Even with moving from one subversion to
another, you have to rebuild the entire install environment,
including floppy images and you are likely to run into version
problems even there (at least I did with 1.4x).

Was a big pain when I tried to do it. I finally gave up. I found
it was *far* easier to borrow a spare drive, copy the ccd partitions
to there, change mounts, upgrade the os, then copy everything back.
And you *might* have to do this every time you upgrade the OS.  I
ended up buying a used (noisy) 4.5G scsi drive for $25 that I use
solely for this purpose because the increase in performance with
ccd makes it very much worth using (to me).

I'm just saying that you might be aware of the problems you will
likely create when you put install-dependent partitions on ccd...