Subject: About NetBSD server tuning!
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <sudog@sudog.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/13/2001 13:34:13
(sorry if this is a duplicate)

I'm a staunch and probably overly stubborn supporter of NetBSD, and
I'm trying to find out some information about kernel tuning for NetBSD
servers to handle large volumes of traffic.

Not just large. Insane volumes--up in the thousands of gigabytes per
month. Generally this is due to crazy ultimate bulletin board traffic,
but sometimes there are download sites which go nutty over the latest
movies/blah blah.

I've got a (somewhat outdated) guide I've been following at

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq11.html

because I know how similar the two systems are. It's been running
nicely for the most part. Does anyone here have anything to add to
these suggestions from the OpenBSD camp?

One of my servers runs heavy CGI-based content. Now and again it
appears as though I bump into resource limits with Apache and
Perl-based CGI. After hitting this magical limit, Perl can no longer
be started from Apache and I have to SIGHUP Apache. I realize this is
probably in Apache-land, and so I'm looking there. In the meantime,
suggestions MUCH appreciated from the more experienced users here!

Sincerely,

Marc