Subject: libtool [was Re: dumb g++ linker question]
To: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
From: Nick Hudson <skrll@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/13/2001 08:14:19
"Charles M. Hannum" wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 05:02:14PM +0000, Nick Hudson wrote:
> >
> > Actually libtool won't help... yet! The version in pkgsrc doesn't
> > support inter-library dependencies. The one I about to check in soon
> > does so that it will use information from say libqt.la to help with the
> > --rpath options.
>
> Uhh?  I'm pretty sure the one in pkgsrc does in fact handle dependencies.
> Indeed, many pkgs rely on that.

It doesn't support inter-library dependencies fully - I forget the
details exactly, but this is from the TODO file in 1.3.5:

* Inter-library dependencies should be fully tracked by libtool and
need to work for ltlibraries too. This requires looking up installed
libtool libraries for transparent support.  Support for this feature
is under development, and is expected to be available in libtool 1.4.

> I hope that whatever you're `about to check in' has been TESTED!!! on
> a.out systems (e.g. with GNOME).  I wasted a lot of time fixing it the
> first time.

Well I sent you a message asking for a test case you didn't reply :-(.
GNOME is a rather large and as I don't run it I'd much prefer a smaller
test case. One that made you make the commit with the following message

*SIGH*
The previous patch could cause problems in a couple of oddball cases.
So, set need_version=yes for a.out, and hack avoid-version so it works
on
a.out platforms.

Nick
--