Subject: Re: dumb g++ linker question
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kent Polk <kent@tiamat.goathill.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/08/2001 18:52:54
On 8 Feb 2001 10:05:00 -0600, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 06:31:09PM +0000, Kent Polk wrote:
>> Now I've never had to set my LD_LIBRARY_PATH on NetBSD before and
>> everything works fine until this. Actually, that's always puzzled
>> me...  I've always had to set that on unix systems. How does NetBSD
>> deal with this?
>
>Because NetBSD typically does the Right Thing with regard to shared
>libraries. I've deleted the beginning of this... are you building
>software out of pkgsrc, or is this third party stuff you're trying
>to make behave? (If the latter, see if you can't find a way to link
>it that does not make use of LD_LIBRARY_PATH, then make a package
>out of it. :^>)

It's SHoT (Synthetich Holography Toolkit) - copyright 2000 Matthias
Koenig and uses Qt2. I was thinking that the number of NetBSD users
interested in this would be about 1. :^)  But I can certainly try
building a pkg if someone thinks it would worth it.

>Reading how ld.so deals with LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the former's man
>page, as proposed by by Rex McMaster, is probably a good idea. But
>if you want to know why you hate having to set it, go read
><http://www.visi.com/~barr/ldpath.html>.

Thanks! It also explains the history behind why SunOS/Solaris has
always required LD_LIBRARY_PATH, which I have wondered about for
the last 13 years...