Subject: installboot password option
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/08/2001 15:00:07
I'm trying to set up a few boxes which should not be trivially booted
into single-user, so in addition to protecting from a direct boot from
the floppy, I need to protect also booting from a floppy from the
bootloader.

So I compiled biosboot.sym with -DBOOTPASSWD and installed the new
bootblock with password-query enabled. It did indeed ask for a password
when I tried to enter the bootmenu. The only problem was that the new
bootblock couldn't actually boot anything, it just got stuck.

Does anyone have installboot password protection in use with stock 1.5,
or this feature currently broken?

--
Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>          v          Of course he runs NetBSD
http://www.iki.fi/pooka/             i            http://www.NetBSD.org/