Subject: Re: Laptop + Suspending = No Sound
To: None <mwilliams@broadriver.com>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/08/2001 07:58:18
> I have netbsd on a dell latitude and whenever I suspend (ctrl-alt-f1) and
> bring it back online the next day, I do not have sound.

This sort of symptom is generally due to a driver bug (failure to
include a power management hook to restore the state of the chip on
resume).

which audio driver is it using?  look through /sbin/dmesg output to
see the configure messages.

for instance, my Vaio Z505S has:

	neo0 at pci0 dev 8 function 1: NeoMagic 256AV audio
	neo0: interruping at irq 9
	neo0: AKM1 codec; headphone, AZTECH 3D
	audio0 at neo0: full duplex, mmap, independent

using the neo audio driver; this driver had a bug (which Jason and I
fixed) where it failed to correctly restore the state of the AC97
codec after a suspend.

				- Bill