Subject: Re: netbsd and slowoffice
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Mark White <mark.white@st-edmund-hall.oxford.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/05/2001 01:04:53
Johan Ihren writes:
> I use 5.2 regularly in NetBSD.
>
> I installed it under "real" Linux, i.e. not via the emulator packages,
> but I use it both with the pkgsrc linux libs  [...]

The pkgsrc version, 5.1, works more-or-less OK; however the
current release 5.2 is somewhat better at importing MS
office documents.  I *do* have a [rather hacksomely
installed] version of 5.2 working...

In order to get setup on 5.2 (and www.openoffice.org
releases) to run, I needed to do add the temporary
extraction directory to the library path -- thus:

  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/tmp/sv001.tmp     (sh, bash etc)
  setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /tmp/sv001.tmp     (csh, etc)

(the first run without this should tell you the pathname
it's failing on; make sure the directory it fails on has
been correctly deleted before you run again, or it'll create
sv002.tmp next time around)

In all cases the installer apparently crashes (javaldx core
dump) towards the end.  However, it only misses some
building of helpfiles or similar, and I later discovered
that the installation it's managed to create thus far
actually seems to be completely functional.

I only use it for importing so I can't claim to have
stress-tested it.  But it seems to work.  Of course, *I've*
almost expired waiting for it to load, once or twice... :-)

HTH

Mark <><