Subject: Re: Exercises in patience -- NetBSD/i386 1.5 on a 4Meg 386DX/25
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/01/2001 19:24:26
On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 06:36:01PM -0500, Brian Chase wrote:
>
>  > Until I find such a memory board, the box will serve as an excercise in
>  > extreme NetBSD computing.
>
> sigh, we don't run on 4mb boxes very well anymore.  talk to ben harris
> (the arm26 portmaster) -- he's been trying to make it work better, but
> our kernel has been ... growing.  it needs a diet :-)

Yeah, I think there can be some work done to make things a little leaner.
Mostly, I'm amazed that I could get it to work at all.  I do expect I'll
get a decent amount of memory back (and some usability back) by running a
very stripped down kernel on this box.  A kernel which will of course be
compiled on some system with a little more oompf.

There's a lot of size/performance grumbling going on right now in
port-vax, but given the magnitude of changes in 1.5, I can't say I'm too
surprised that the kernel has gotten a fair amount bigger.

Still, I think we've got a far better chance of getting NetBSD to run in
around 4Megs than some of the other free OSes out there.

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
         "Never program a computer you can lift." -- Barry Shein