Subject: RE: MySQL runtime error
To: 'symka@vejas.lt' <symka@vejas.lt>
From: Hugo Burm <hugob@fullmoon.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/31/2001 10:59:32
I had the same problem with 3.23.32 and solved it with a quick hack.
May be someone else who knows a bit more about configure, libtool, ltconfig,
etc. than I do, can solve this problem in the proper way.
I don't think it has much  to do with setting the search path for shared
libraries.
This is what happens when you compile one of the client apps:

Step 1)
c++ -DUNDEF_THREADS_HACK -I./../include -I../include -I./.. -I..  -I..
-O3 -DDBUG_OFF   -fno-implicit-templates -c mysql.cc
Step 2)
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link c++  -O3 -DDBUG_OFF   -fno-implicit-templates
-R/usr/local/lib -o mysql  mysql.o readline.o sql_string.o completion_hash.o
../readline/libreadline.a -lcurses  ../libmysql/libmysqlclient.la  -lz
-lcrypt -lm
Step 3)
c++ -O3 -DDBUG_OFF -fno-implicit-templates -o .libs/mysql mysql.o readline.o
sql_string.o completion_hash.o ../readline/libreadline.a -lcurses
../libmysql/.libs/libmysqlclient.so -lz -lcrypt -lm -lz -lcrypt -lm
-Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib/mysql -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib

The second step creates the definition of the third step. In the third step
I think including the shared library is wrong. So I changed the LDADD
definition in the Makefile in the client  directory near line 180, without
exactly knowing what I was doing, which is dangerous, but it solved the
problem.

About line 180:
#LDADD =  ../libmysql/libmysqlclient.la
LDADD =  -L../libmysql/.libs -lmysqlclient -Wl,--rpath
-Wl,/usr/local/lib/mysql

If you run configure again, your changes will be lost.

Hope this helps