Subject: Re: Bizarre keyboard behavior in X
To: Scott Telford <st@devnull.demon.co.uk>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/29/2001 23:36:57
On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 06:59:27PM +0000, Scott Telford wrote:
> When I installed NetBSD/i386 1.5 with X, I got some strange keyboard
> behaviour in X: occasionally, it would start auto-repeating the last key
> spontaneously. I read (in the mailing list archives?) that having a
> getty running on the same virtual console as the X server could have
> strange effects, and sure enough, if I run xdm at startup, getty is
> running on the same VC as the X server. I tried killing the X server
> before logging in (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace), which restarts the X server on
> an unused VC, and I haven't noticed the problem since. I haven't checked
> if this has been PR'd.

Edit /etc/ttys and disable a virtual terminal.

Then edit /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers and tell the X server
what virtual terminal it should run on. Here's the line from my
Xservers file:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 vt08

In /etc/ttys I have:

ttyE7   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   off secure

Yes, they differ by one (ttyE7 == vt08). I can now switch to the virtual
terminal for key F8 and get the X server (with no weird getty-related
keyboard foo).

Seen on bottom of IBM part number 1887724:
DO NOT EXPOSE MOUSE PAD TO DIRECT SUNLIGHT FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME.