Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.5 kernel config...
To: Andrew Steven Ball <kb9ylw@cyberspace.org>
From: Mark White <mark.white@st-edmund-hall.oxford.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/29/2001 15:00:47
Andrew Steven Ball writes:
> Mark, does this look buildable?

Looks pretty good to me. :-)

> #options        COMPAT_12       # NetBSD 1.2,
> #options        COMPAT_13       # NetBSD 1.3,
> options         COMPAT_14       # NetBSD 1.4,

In fact, IIRC you can drop COMPAT_14 now we are in
1.5-release; I originally wrote this for one of the 1.5
betas.  Is this right, anybody?

If you were to build with against -current, you'd presumably
want COMPAT_15 in there.

> file-system     MSDOSFS         # MS-DOS file system
> #^^^ Think I only need this for install, oh well - ASB

On the rare occasions I exchange files by floppy disk, I use
MSDOS fs; otherwise it probably isn't needed.

> # wscons options
> #^^^ - do I need wscons?  Can't I use pccons instead? - ASB

Yep, sure; I deliberately wanted wscons on this one, but
pccons should work fine.  Are you intending to mostly use it
via the network?

> # disk/mass storage pseudo-devices
> #pseudo-device  ccd             4       # concatenated/striped disk devices
> #pseudo-device  md              1       # memory disk device (ramdisk)
> pseudo-device   vnd             4       # disk-like interface to files

If you don't use it (manually), you may not need vnd (block
device loopback) - anybody know?

Mark <><