Subject: Re: Netatalk and HFS partitions
To: Hauke Fath <hf@Tangro.DE>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/29/2001 09:13:40
On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 10:24:16AM +0100, Hauke Fath wrote:
> ???
>
> Last I read about it, none of the available hfs subsystems came with a BSD
> compatible license.
>
> Bill Studenmund and Paul Goyette worked on a port of an hfs filesystem a
> long time ago but afair ran into unsolvable locking problems.

Sorry, let me rephrase that, now that I'm fully concious and it's
daylight:

Both the macppc and mac68k ports are capable of reading very small
bits of information in a quick and dirty way off of HFS partitions.
(It is possible to boot a kernel from an HFS(+) partition in macppc
under *some* versions of OpenFirmware, and the mac68k boot loader
can read its kernel from the MacOS side before switching over to
NetBSD.)

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net