Subject: Re: Andy builds a monster...
To: Andrew Steven Ball <kb9ylw@cyberspace.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/29/2001 07:06:45
245MB for root sounds a bit large for a normal NetBSD install.  Whether
140MB /usr is enough, I dunno...  It's certainly backwards, with respect
to NetBSD, to have /usr smaller than /.  (/ is just the bare
essentials.  /usr is ``everything else''.)

For reference, here's my df output on my current system (with an obscene
(IMHO) amount of disk space):

$ df
Filesystem  512-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0a       548462    96564   424474    18%    /
/dev/wd0e     29405908 12335762 15599850    44%    /usr
kernfs               2        2        0   100%    /kern
$

If I can still do arithmetic, that's less than 50MB used on /..and I'm
certainly not making any effort to be careful about what goes on /, since
it's unlikely that that will be a limiting factor for me.

So, to answer your questions as best I can:

 1. I would try not to set up my NetBSD filesystems that way.
 2. You are underestimating /usr, I think.
 3. Not sure offhand.  I've never done a two-drive install.  (^&
 4. It should be possible, but see #1 & #2.
 5. The installer should at least broadly reflect normal NetBSD use...
 6. You can never drink too much Dr. Pepper.  Unles you explode.

(Note on #1: It may be easier to get the thing installed that way, then
play musical chairs afterwards to get things sorted out.)

(Note on #3: If you feel adventurous, you can drop to a shell from the
installer and manually make the filesystems and/or untar the files.  I've
always taken the lazy route of letting the installer do the work for me.)

(No Guru Meditation Numbers, sorry.  Have you tried port-amiga?  (^&)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu