Subject: Andy builds a monster...
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Steven Ball <kb9ylw@cyberspace.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/28/2001 22:44:08
Hello!

I've found a couple of ATA hard disks laying around that
will work in tandem.  They are a Quantum 245Mb and a Conner
170Mb.  I'm not sure which I will make primary and which
secondary, and I don't know if it really matters.  This is
what I thought I'd do with the disks, I'd welcome people's
input as to whether I should provide more swap, lay things
out differently and so on...

(Logical parameters)
  Parameter        Conner    Quantum
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~    ~~~~~~    ~~~~~~~
  Cylinders           903        723
  Heads                 8         13
  Sectors/Track        46         51

(Conner partitions)
  ,-------------------+-------------------+---------,
  |     Cylinders     |        Size       |         |
  |  Start  ,   End   |   Cyl   ,   Mb    |   Use   |
  +---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
  |     0   |   177   |   178   |    33   |  Swap   |
  |   178   |   902   |   725   |   137   |  /usr ? |
  `---------+---------+---------+---------+---------'

(Quantum partition)
  Single 245Mb root partition.

...some questions that spring to mind are...

  1: is this even remotely sensible?
  2: Am I missing something important?
  3: Will the installer let me do this?
  4: Can I make the second partition of the Conner a FAT
     partition, install from there, and then re-configure
     it as /usr space?
  5: Should I give up trying to plan it and let the 'auto
     defaults for all' to it's thing on the Quantum?
  6: Have I been drinking too much Dr Pepper?!

Comments, advice and the number of a good meditation guru
are invited...

Regards,
  - Andy.