Subject: Re: Matrox G450 and 1.5/i386?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: George Coulouris <glc5@cornell.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/27/2001 14:41:42
Matthieu Herb wrote:
> The mga driver in XFree86 4.0.2 doesn't support the G450. You can
> however use the Linux driver provided by matrox.
> Just download the mg_drv.o for linux from
> <http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/files/linux_04.cfm> and
> copy it in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers.
>
> The XFree86 4 drivers are designed to be OS independant.
>
> BTW Matrox now makes the source for their driver available too.

I grabbed the Matrox driver source and the xf86 4.0.2 tree. The Matrox
driver is slightly broken out of the box, as it assumes that you have
USEMGAHAL defined. Minor rearrangements fix this behavior. So now, I have a
native-compiled version of mga_drv.o that does not depend on mgaHALlib.a.

Unfortunately, X still doesn't work :-(

That is, when I start xinit, everything looks as though it's starting
correctly, but I either get stripes on my screen (sometimes a block that
moves when I move the mouse), or "out of scan range". The I2C/DDC stuff
works correctly, in that the card has a chat with the monitor to determine
the proper vertical and horizontal scan rates, and these are correctly
reflected in my XF86Config. The other thing is that the XFree86 process
seems to get stuck in a loop, as it quickly ramps up to 99% cpu after
starting xinit.

-George