Subject: Re: default optimization
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/22/2001 09:09:51
On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

: >  > what is default cpu optimization in netbsd gcc? i can't find it by
: >
: > The default optimization level of gcc itself is zero (-O0).
: i mean cpu optimization (like -m386, -m486, -mpentium or -mpentiumpro)

On i386, we use least common denominator (-m386).  We support processors all
the way down to 80386 (hence the name "i386").  All base and package
binaries posted on ftp.netbsd.org use this default setting.

Note that -m386, -m486, etc. are CPU code generation (not optimization)
settings -- if you use -m486, you get code that an 80386 *cannot* run.
"CPU optimization" is a slightly different option that does instrucction
reordering for caches' sake on certain processors (but does not change the
ability for other processors to run the code); this option is "-mtune=...".

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/