Subject: Re: apm (Re: Anyone running NetBSD on an IBM ThinkPad [A|T]21?)
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/21/2001 21:27:59
I installed the patches to npx_isa.c and apm.c, and suspend works much
better now on my Thinkpad 600E.  However, on two occasions, I also got
the following messages:

pciide0:0:0: lost interrupt
        type: ata tc_bcount: 8192 tc_skip: 0
pciide0:0:0: intr with DRQ (st=0x58)
wd0: transfer error, downgrading to Ultra-DMA mode 1
wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 1 (using DMA data transfers)
wd0a: device timeout writing fsbn 30432 of 30432-30447 (wd0 bn 5156112; cn 5456 tn 3 sn 3), retrying
wd0: soft error (corrected)

I assume that that happened because a disk operation was in progress
during the suspend request.

(a) is that guess correct?
(b) was the recovery likely to have been successful?  should other
blocks in that range have been rewritten?
(c) does the disk upgrade to whatever the previous Ultra-DMA mode was?
(d) should the apm support be changed to quiesce the disks before
suspending?  I believe that bsd/os does that.