Subject: Re: 1.5 dies at login:
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/21/2001 13:21:06
On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 04:38:46PM -0800, Mike Cheponis wrote:
> rtk0 at pci0 dev 9 function 0: RealTek 8139 10/100BaseTX
> rtk0: interrupting at irq 10
> rtk0: Ethernet address 00:a0:d2:1a:65:3f
> ukphy0 at rtk0 phy 7: Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface
> ukphy0: OUI 0x000000, model 0x0000, rev. 0
> ukphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
>
> I don't use NIS, only run ftpd, telnetd, sshd, and echo server.  It would
> -seem- as if inetd was able to spawn ftpd, since I at least get the
> "Connected to" message back, but I don't get the FTP banner back.

No, the "connected to" message is printed when the TCP socket is established -
all what's needed for this on the remote machine happens in the kernel (it's
a syn/ack sequence).

> Plus, not being able to log into the console directly seems very strange.
>
> Clearly, I've not been able to see what processes were running at that time.

No ddb on the machine ? On the console you could enter it via 'ctrl-alt-esc'
and then type 'ps' to see what's running.

> I was running two tasks to test the machine's reliability, which
> compiled, gzipped, deleted the .o file and then looped using C and f77.  And
> I had an instance of setiathome running and ntop and top.  I was trying to
> load the machine to make sure it is stable under some load before I make it
> my "main server machine".

Didn't you see anything strange in top ?

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>