Subject: Re: 1.5 dies at login:
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/20/2001 16:38:46
On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 01:44:45AM -0800, Mike Cheponis wrote:
> > 1.5 has died on me at the login prompt.  Since I've enabled the echo server,
> > I was able to ping the machine.
> >
> > When I tried to telnet in from another machine, I got this:
> >
> > Trying 209.185.76.39...
> > Connected to bsd.Culver.Net.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> >
> > Then it just hung forever.
> >

> > Then, I tried FTP to see if I could snag some log files:
> >
> > Trying 209.185.76.39.21...
> > Connected to bsd.Culver.Net.
> >
> > Then hangs.
> >
> > Finally, I go out into the machine room and at the console hit RETURN a
> > few times, and sure enough the login: prompt is printed each time.  I then
> > type "root" at the prompt, hit return, and then it -also- hangs.
> >
> > So I hit the RESET switch and I'm waiting for it to fsck the 45G disk.
> >

> > Has anybody else seen this?  Or have any ideas?  Quick system rundown:
> > VIA VA-503+ K6-2-400 256MB ECC Promise Ultra100 running UDMA66, GENERIC 1.5
> > kernel.

> Network problems maybe ? Do you use NIS ?
> Otherwise I suspect it can't start new processes, for unknown reasons.
> Never seen this on my machines yet.

rtk0 at pci0 dev 9 function 0: RealTek 8139 10/100BaseTX
rtk0: interrupting at irq 10
rtk0: Ethernet address 00:a0:d2:1a:65:3f
ukphy0 at rtk0 phy 7: Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface
ukphy0: OUI 0x000000, model 0x0000, rev. 0
ukphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

I don't use NIS, only run ftpd, telnetd, sshd, and echo server.  It would
-seem- as if inetd was able to spawn ftpd, since I at least get the
"Connected to" message back, but I don't get the FTP banner back.

Plus, not being able to log into the console directly seems very strange.

Clearly, I've not been able to see what processes were running at that time.

I was running two tasks to test the machine's reliability, which
compiled, gzipped, deleted the .o file and then looped using C and f77.  And
I had an instance of setiathome running and ntop and top.  I was trying to
load the machine to make sure it is stable under some load before I make it
my "main server machine".

Thanks again -Mike