Subject: Re: Is it ok to use AMD athlon processors?
To: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
From: Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/19/2001 18:41:45
Wolfgang Rupprecht wrote:

> Thanks for your helpful ideas!
>
> > The revision number can be found somewhere between PCI slots on the board.
>
> Its board rev 1.02 .

Just same as mine.

> > I suspect the CPU temperature was too high and supplied voltages were
> > unstable. First try replacing the power supply unit.
>
> Thats what I figured too.  The heatsink is barely warm to the touch
> and the BIOS's hardware monitor claims the CPU temp is 46C.

It might be due to BIOS bugs. Older BIOS'es have got in trouble with some
OS'es (I'm not sure NetBSD was one of them, though). What's the version
number of the BIOS? The latest is 1004D, AFAIK.

> I did upgrade the stock 300W Antec power supply for their 400W supply.
> The 400W supply is on AMD's approved list.
>
> > If it didn't help, then lower the CPU clock frequency by adjusting
> > the multiplier. All of 4 L1 bridges must be closed before doing
> > that.
>
> It would be really sad if the CPU/motherboard doesn't work at rated
> speed (1.1Ghz).
>
> I'm still not convinced that some of the problems isn't a software /
> VIA chipset documentation problem.

More possible cause:

a) Is System Performance Setting on the BIOS set to Optimal? If then, set
it to Normal.
b) Check Vcore voltage. 1.1Ghz Athlon should need 1.85V at least.
c) Adjust the CPU external clock frequency to _real_ 100 Mhz. Set 1->off,
2->off, 3->on, 4->on -- this combination is an undocumented feature ASUS
don't want us to know. :)

Jun-Young

--
Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org>