Subject: Re: Many PCI IDE cards in one box, is this possible?
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/18/2001 23:41:42
Brian Buhrow writes:
> 	Thanks for that, I didn't know.  On a related note, while I have
> your attention, I notice that when I try to configure 12 of these drives
> into an array, and start the parity calculation process, the machine
> becomes incredibly slow, and the load goes up to 13 or 14.  Ps shows that
> raidframe_parity is the all consuming process, and occasionally, I see
> messages like:
> pcide2:1:1: bogus intr
> The drives have all stepped down to mode pio 4, so I don't think they're
> running that fast, but something seems saturated.  Any notion of what it
> might be?

have a look at 'systat vmstat' and, in particular, at the number of interrupts
being served... 'systat iostat' might be interesting as well...

> Will this problem resolve itself when we begin using the raid5
> array in a light manner?

Do you have all 12 drives in a single RAID5 array?  "ouch".
I think you'll be ok once you start 'normal operation' (depending on what your
RAID configuration, disklabels, newfs parameters, etc. look like..)

Later...

Greg Oster