Subject: Re: dead external scsi cd burner
To: Scott Bartram <scottb@orionsoft.com>
From: None <collver@softhome.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/18/2001 07:41:10
> I just tried to attach an external Yamaha to my Adaptec 2940UW with similar
> results. I've got it set at ID 1 and I have an internal drive set at ID 8.
> When I attach the drive with a Sun SCSI cable, I get "PARITY error" messages
> while probing the disk similar to what you see even if the drive is turned off.
> As soon as I disconnect the cable, everything works again.
>
> I am going to try attaching to another (NT 4.0) system tonight.
>
> Please let me know if you have any success and I'll do the same. Thanks.

In the past I used this CD burner in NT4, Linux, and NetBSD.  I only used
it in Linux and NetBSD on this SCSI card.  While I was using it on Linux,
someone at RedHat was making changes to the SCSI driver for the card I use,
and it broke being able to record CD's.  I reverted to an older version of
the driver and it worked fine.  Later on, using this same driver, it
started to fail, and I needed to gradually increase the timeout value to
get it to work.  Finally one day it would not work at all.

I've tried setting this drive to a different SCSI id, and I got the same
error messages.  I ignored the error messages and tried to burn a CD, but
cdrecord reported that there was no such file or directory, cannot open
SCSI driver.

Later on I will take this out of the case and attach it internally in my
PC.  If that doesn't work, it's headed for the dumpster.

Thanks for all the help!

Ben