Subject: Re: post-install login trouble
To: Ryan Low <uberfrogus@yahoo.com>
From: Mark White <mark.white@st-edmund-hall.oxford.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/18/2001 14:57:38
Ryan Low writes:
> Installation completes and
> everything is smooth until I try to log in for the
> first time. At the login prompt, having received the
> root name and password, it thinks for a little bit,
> then puts up another login prompt.

Assuming it's not a password problem, you should be able to
get into the system by booting to single user mode.

Hit something other than return at the prompt like this at
the start of bootup:

       Use hd1a:netbsd to boot sd0 when wd0 is also installed
       Press return to boot now, any other key for boot menu
       booting wd0a:netbsd - starting in 5

the type soemthing like "boot -s", which should allow to you
run a single root shell without logging in.  You'll need to
remount root read/write, something like this (adjust wd0a to
taste):

        mount -u -o rw /dev/wd0a /

maybe followed by "mount -a" if you've got other partitions
that still need mounting.  You should be able to check if
the system is really all there underneath, run passwd, ...

Mark <><