Subject: Re: dead external scsi cd burner
To: None <collver@softhome.net>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/17/2001 12:27:13
>Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 08:12:17 -0800
>From: collver@softhome.net
>Cc: port-i386@netbsd.org
>Sender: <ben@softhome.net>
>
>On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 10:30:40AM -0500, maximum entropy wrote:
>>
>> You didn't say what SCSI ID you had your burner set to.  If it's set
>> to 0, you might want to try a different ID.  I have an HP 9200i burner
>> on an aic7860 and for some reason it refuses to work on ID 0.   It
>> works fine on any other ID (though I still get those "SCB 1d - timed
>> out" messages during the probe).
>
>I do have it as SCSI ID 0.  Thanks for the tip, I'll try setting it to
>another SCSI ID and ignoring the probe error messages.  Supposing that
>doesn't work, should I just call it dead?

I'd suggest trying it on another machine and another OS to eliminate
those variables.  Since it's an external drive you might
also want to try installing the drive internally, in case the power
supply or cabling in the external box is at fault.  If none of those
ideas work, then chances are that the drive really is dead.