Subject: Re: "connect: Can't assign requested address" using netbsd1.5 when going off-subnet
To: None <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Dave Christiansen <cheddardeity@hotmail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/15/2001 14:06:24
>From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>

> > What can cause connect() to return EADDRNOTAVAIL?
> >
> > I'd debug it, but I don't have any symbolic info and I'd like to avoid
>the
> > hassle if this may have some simple solution.
>
>I the previous infos you posted, I wondered why sip had these strange
>parameters (point to point, noarp, etc ...). This may affect the source
>or address, which may affect routing later (source-based routing, ...).

Ooops-- I must have missed that in my initial reply.  Sorry.  :-(

Frankly, I don't know why it has Point-to-point on it... The only mods I've
made so far are to enable DHCP and telnet so I can get the output from the
various commands.

You also asked if it's on DSL.  It is, but not in a point-to-point manner.
It's talking to a hub which is connected to a DSL bridge.

>This may be a problem general to TCP (and maybe connected UDP, but you
>didn't
>test it here :). And again, I wonder about the point to point mode of
>sip ...

Good point-- what uses connected UDP?  I'll check that.

I'll also try stripping the point-to-point bit from the interface and see if
the problem goes away.

Thanks!
-Dave