Subject: Re: SCSI / ATAPI for audio CDs
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
From: Mark White <mark.white@st-edmund-hall.oxford.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/15/2001 01:05:30
Jared D. McNeill writes:
> cdparanoia worked with my old ATAPI drive, use '/dev/rcd0d' assuming the
> first ATAPI CD-ROM drive... however, it doesn't work with my current
> CD-ROM drive so I need to use 'cdd'. Either way, it should work one way or
> another.

Thanks (and to the others who replied!) ... probably I'm
just doing something stupid here; maybe someone can spot it?

Running cdparanoia with anything not including -g just gives me:

    cdparanoia: -g option is currently required by NetBSD
    version

however, if I try and use that option, I get something like

[BSDln:p1]/scratch/audio% cdparanoia -g /dev/rcd0a -Bv
        Testing /dev/rcd0a for SCSI interface
                generic device: /dev/rcd0a
                ioctl device: /dev/rcd0a
                Drive is neither a CDROM nor a WORM device

I have similar problems with cdd; it gets as far as asking
what kind of driver to use, but eventually bombs out with

    Unable to enter CDAudio Mode

whatever I pick.

Do I actually need SCSI compiled in for this stuff to work?
The kernel I used to generate these messages doesn't have it
in, but I tried a reasonable number of combinations using a
SCSI capable kernel and got all the same messages.

Finally, it might be relevant that I've forced the CDROM
into PIO mode in the kernel config; it didn't seem to work
in DMA mode despite reporting it OK (I gather this is common
for removable media drives):

    cd0 at atapibus1 drive 1: <SAMSUNG SC-140B, , BS12> type 5 cdrom removable
    cd0: 32-bit data port
    cd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
    cd0(pciide0:1:1): using PIO mode 4

Thanks very much

Mark <><