Subject: SCSI / ATAPI for audio CDs
To: NetBSD port-i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Mark White <mark.white@st-edmund-hall.oxford.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/15/2001 00:36:54
Does anybody have any experience using an ATAPI CD drive for
digital audio?  The NetBSD misc FAQ informs me:

    Depending on your drive, the software may or may not
    support it. Cdparanoia is known to work with a wide
    range of IDE (ATAPI) and SCSI drives.

but both cdd and cdparanoia both seem to want the general
SCSI interface to work.  Anybody know if they'll work with
ATAPI, or do I need a SCSI layer of some sort?

My understanding of the NetBSD scsi interface was that it
was a transparent top layer which would work with ATAPI
devices (I gather cdrecord works with ATAPI devices using
this) ... what am I missing?

TIA
Mark <><