Subject: Re: Anyone running NetBSD on an IBM ThinkPad [A|T]21?
To: None <hans@Huebner.ORG>
From: Chuck Cranor <chuck@xxx.research.att.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/14/2001 21:21:45
In article <Pine.BSF.4.21.0101141424240.374-100000@huebner.org>,
>I have just got my ThinkPad T21 with SXGA (1400x1050) display, and
>installation from the Wasabi 1.5 CDROM went completely painless.

>I installed XFree86-4.0.2 and use the XF86Config file which is appended.

the XF v3 stuff that was in xsrc around the release of 1.5 doesn't work
on T21.   there are still things that make the server crash.  (see
http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html for details...)

note that XFree86 4 drivers are OS independent, so you should be
able to run newer drivers from that page (i was able to run the i386 linux
and openbsd compiled drivers on my system).

>Power management also somehow works, although I have a strange problem at the
>moment:  When I close the display, the machine suspends, which is fine.  If I
>open it again, it resumes and suspends again, so I have to manually wake it up
>using the power button.  Propably also not too hard to fix.

same here, its an old bug.   it only happens if you are running "apmd" ...
kill "apmd" and close the top and it will not happen.  the same problem
occurs on an old IBM 560 thinkpad i have.   i'm going to look into fixing
it (suspect it has already been fixed elsewhere, so it just a matter of
pulling in the right diffs).

i would avoid pulling things out of the Ultrabay while it is running.
i've gotten my system in a state where it starts beeping constantly
by doing this -- very annoying (but at least you can mute it).

>Sound does work sometimes, so I have been able to play music with the
>machine.  Most of the time, the sound driver is somehow screwed up, though,
>and does not preproduce whatever mp3 I feed it.

the sound chip does not initialize properly if you do not cycle the
power after running Windows 2000.   if you just run BSD it is fine (at
least for me).   [bug in clcs0 driver?]

another problem is that the MiniPCI 3com ethernet chip isn't supported
in 1.5 (but is in -current).  i back-ported to 1.5.  the WinModem doesn't
work either (of course).

i haven't figured a way to get hibernate mode to work either (other
than in windows 2000).

other than that sort of stuff, i'm quite fond of my T21.

chuck
--
Chuck Cranor                            http://www.research.att.com/info/chuck
Senior Technical Staff Member		chuck@research.att.com