Subject: Re: Thoughts on a possible new BSD system appriciated.
To: Bill Squier <groo@old-ones.com>
From: Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 <bbogart@acs.ryerson.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/13/2001 16:45:52
where Can i find those flash updates? I could only find WW on the abit
site, where can i get WZ? (I ended up getting a KT7 (no RAID) because I
needed a SCSI2UW adapter anyway)

Thanks
Ben

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Bill Squier wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 05:42:06PM -0500, Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > I'm planning a new NetBSD machine and would like any feedback possible.
> > Here are the components currently on my list:
>
> Since I just finished building one of these...
>

> > Abit Kt7 mainboard
>
> KT7-RAID.  Worth the $20.
>
> > AMD Duron 800 CPU
>
> Thunderbird 1.1GHz here.
>
> > Antec KS 188+pp303x ATX tower case
>
> I *HATE* this case.  The motherboard tray took super-human force to slide out,
> the lower 3.5" drive bays are SO close to the ATX motherboard edge that I
> was forced to put my HDD in the upper 3.5" bay (although the upper has
> much better ventilation), the front of the case is rounded at the top so
> placing a floppy flush to the case is an uneccessary challenge...
>
> > Quantum Fireball plus LM 20GB HDD
>
> Maxtor 80GB.
>
> > Adaptec 2930 SCSI-2 Adapter
>
> No SCSI for now.
>
> > ATI Xpert 2000 32M Rage 128 Pro*
> > *Apparently this card does have problems under Xfree 3.3.6 anyone tried
> > it under 4.0? For that matter how difficult is the Xfree86 4.0 build
> > under netbsd to replace 3.3.6?
>
> Oxygen VX1-16 (for SGI 1600SW flat-panel).  Currently using 4.0.x driving a
> regular monitor until LCD support for the card is completed.  4.0.x snapshots
> on ftp.xfree86.org work just fine; building from xf-current works fine as
> well.
>
> > I'd appriciate any pointers suggestions anyone may have. So if have
> > praise for, or dislike, any of the above products please let me know.
>
> Extra fans.
>
> IMPORTANT:  Update your BIOS to at least WZ beta 01 (CAREFUL with revision
> WW!!)  I have a 256MB DIMM which intermittently locked up the system until
> I installed WZ.  (Somewhere previous to WZ they fixed a problem with certain
> 256MB modules).
>
> --
> Bill Squier (groo@old-ones.com)                          http://www.netbsd.org
>   I know I don't deserve a second chance; but as an American,
>   aren't I entitled to one?  --Sideshow Bob.

B. Bogart
Convergent Media Designer
Through scientific absolution we move further and further away from ourselves.