Subject: Re: updating packages?
To: Scott Presnell <srp@zgi.com>
From: Paul (NCC/CS) <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/12/2001 13:16:32
Scott Presnell wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>         Sorry for the simple question.  What is recommended way to update
> a package that has dependencies?  e.g if I try to update from freetype-lib-1.2
> to 1.3.1 I see:
>
> pkg_add: other version 'freetype-lib-1.2' already installed
> and if I try to delete 'freetype-lib-1.2' first I see:
>
> pkg_delete: package `freetype-lib-1.2' is required by other packages:
>         ja-vflib-lib-2.24.2
>         enlightenment-0.16.2
>         gd-1.8.3
>
>         Thanks.
>
>         - Scott

Scott,
I had exactly the same problem a few months ago.

I think the situation is that NetBSD is a bit less
focussed on ease of install compared to other free
os's, as this is not the primary goal of NetBSD.
NetBSD is more focussed on getting it ported,
and extremely well ported, to various platforms.
This is why I started using NetBSD and it's
fantastic for sure. The interesting stuff is more
interesting here. But some of the ease of install
is missing and you've got to work a bit harder:)

I never found a really good / official solution to
this problem you have. However I did overcome
it. The trouble is I can't remember!!!!!!!!:)))))
Basically I think the answer was that some of
the packages claim to need things they don't.
I think I deleted my packages installed, and then
reinstalled them with the package that needed
the new freetype lib first. Then the others that
originally said they need the old freetype lib
surprisingly installed without any trouble and they
worked using the new freetype lib. Let me know
how you go. Perhaps if I search my email at home
over the weekend I can find what I did exactly.

cheers,
Paul.

Paul        (pts@bom.gov.au)
National Climate Centre