Subject: Re: updating packages?
To: Scott Presnell <srp@zgi.com>
From: None <collver@softhome.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/11/2001 17:41:25
On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 05:14:47PM -0800, Scott Presnell wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> 	Sorry for the simple question.  What is recommended way to update
> a package that has dependencies?  e.g if I try to update from freetype-lib-1.2
> to 1.3.1 I see:
>
> pkg_add: other version 'freetype-lib-1.2' already installed
> and if I try to delete 'freetype-lib-1.2' first I see:
>
> pkg_delete: package `freetype-lib-1.2' is required by other packages:
>         ja-vflib-lib-2.24.2
>         enlightenment-0.16.2
>         gd-1.8.3
>
> 	Thanks.
>
> 	- Scott

The situation is sticky because you only see one layer of backwards
dependency.  You don't know what depends on what, which in turn depends on
what, which in turn depends on gd or ja-vflib-lib.

One possible way to go about it is to have a script figure it out for you.
The following sequence of commands will upgrade all packages that are older
than your current pkgsrc.  Use at own risk ;)

	cd /usr/pkgsrc
	make index
	cd pkgtools/bsdpak
	make install