Subject: Re: Disklabel Compatibility, i386/amiga
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kent Polk <kent@tiamat.goathill.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/08/2001 02:23:39
On 7 Jan 2001 16:25:01 -0600, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 03:34:11PM -0500, Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 wrote:
>> My amiga has died and I need to get at the ados and netbsd filesystems on
>> its HDD. Can I put this drive into my i386 machine and still be able to
>> mount those filesystems? Or will I need to build a new disklabel?
>
>You need to recover the disklabel, at last. Then you should be able to read
>the NetBSD FS. Don't know for ADOS.

MOUNT_ADOS(8)           NetBSD System Manager's Manual           MOUNT_ADOS(8)

NAME
     mount_ados - mount an AmigaDOS file system

SYNOPSIS
     mount_ados [-o options] [-u uid] [-g gid] [-m mask] special node

DESCRIPTION
     The mount_ados command attaches the AmigaDOS filesystem residing on the
     device special to the global filesystem namespace at the location indi-
     cated by node.  This command is normally executed by mount(8) at boot
     time, but can be used by any user to mount an AmigaDOS file system on any
     directory that they own (provided, of course, that they have appropriate
     access to the device that contains the file system).

CAVEATS
     The `ados' filesystem currently supports the Amiga fast file system.

The mount_ados manpage appears to indicate that one should be able
to mount an existing ados (ffs) filesystem. I have the same problem
as the original poster and had tried unsuccessfully to mount ados
partitions on a scsi drive via i386 NetBSD. Seems that mount_ados
wouldn't exist if it didn't work under some condition(s). Are there
any unlisted caveats to mount_ados, such as possible only working
on an Amiga-based NetBSD system or only after the drive has been
partitioned using some special technique?