Subject: Re: netbsd 1.5 (softdep?) crash
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org, port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <collver@softhome.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/07/2001 12:08:53
On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 08:29:55AM -0800, collver@softhome.net wrote:
> I was building Perl on a newly installed NetBSD 1.5 system with softdeps
> enabled.  During the build, the kernel panicked and I am including the
> message in this mail.  Will someone advise me?
>
> vput: bat ref count: tag 1 type VREG, usecount 0, writecount 1, refcount 7,
>    tag VT_UFS, ino 3503760, on dev 0, 0 flags 0x6, effnlink 1, nlink 1
>    mode 0100644, owner 0, group 0, size 56244, lock type vnlock: EXCL (count 1) by pid 8086
> panic: vput: ref cnt
> Stopped in miniperl at cpu_Debugger+0x4: leave
> db>

I tried to build Perl again and this time got a different crash.

uvm_fault(0xc02c2ba0, 0xc8aaa000, 0, 1) -> 1
kernel: page fault trap, code = 0
Stopped in sh at	pmap_page_remove+0x114: movl		0(%edx, %eax, 4), %eax
db>

This is the first time I've seen NetBSD 1.5 crashing like this, I suspect
the hardware.  Do these error messages contain any hints about which
hardware components I should suspect?  My first guess would be the memory,
however this PC has run several other operating systems without crashing.

Ben
--
Code softly and carry a big debugger.