Subject: Re: UltraDMA performance.
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: dkwok <dkwok@iware.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/06/2001 09:30:01
>On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 06:28:37AM -0800, Wolfgang Rupprecht wrote:
>>
>> bouyer@asim.lip6.fr (Manuel Bouyer) writes:
>> > because pciide doesn't know (yet) that this board can do Ultra/66.
>> > The problem is that via uses the same vendor/device ID and revision for
>> > both the Ultra/33 and Ultra/66 controllers. We need some trick to
detect
>> > a Ultra/66 capable one.
>>
>> I don't know if this is related, but -current running on the Asus A7v
>> which has a Ultra/66 Via chip and Ultra/100 Promise chip will lock up
>> solidly (no ddb) if a drive is put on each Ultra/100 Promise channels.
>
>And with only one drive on the promise ?

And from my experience with high point controller and Seagate Barracuda ATA
II, the controller card cannot handle 2 drives even there are supposedly 2
separated channel. I had a lot of soft errors when doing large data
transfer. At the end I have 1 card for 1 hdd. It works fine however, the
system hangs after 2 -3 weeks uptime.

Am I correct to say it is not prime time for production yet.

Any one has any experience with the scsi raid setup whether it is ready for
prime production use

David Kwok