Subject: Re: control-alt-delete?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/05/2001 20:22:19
On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 02:07:57PM -0500, Bill Squier wrote:

> Stop here.  Exercise for the reader:
>
> 	Name all platforms NetBSD runs on which do not have at least one
> 	of {CTRL, ALT, DELETE} keys.

Hey, I was speaking about i386 all along:-) (and this is the i386 port
mailing list, isn't it?):-) Other platforms may have their own key combos
as they have ever had. In FreeBSD (and no more references, I promise) there
is a thing known as POLA: The Path of Least Astonishment. It is a useful
concept, and protects people from taking up brand new habits unless there
is a very good reason to do so. IMHO this not working is a good example of
such a change. Just as, say OpenBSD's gratuitous handling (or better,
non-handling) of disks above the 8 gig limit wrt to fdisk... it may or may
not be technically more correct than the rest of the world, but it
certainly breaks just about any convention in this regard I know of.

I think interopreability should be key in today's computing, not the notion
that there is (or even can be) a single operating environment (in a broad
sense) that can solve all of your problems, ever.

> Say hello to Zoltan Esik for me.

:-)

--
Regards: