Subject: Re: control-alt-delete?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/05/2001 20:01:40
On 05.01.01, 10:14:05, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 12:03:04PM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
>
> Console abort is only useful if it's provided by the firmware on the
> system (i.e. Abort Switch on the AlphaServers, which traps into the
> firmware).  If you have to rely on the (wedged) operating system to
> provide the abort functionality, well ... that's not useful at all.

Which leaves the question why we trust a wedged system, that has
already panicked, to be in consistent enough a state to do a reliable
dump of the main memory to the dump partition.

How can we be sure that it's not in a state where it has messed up the
disklabel or whatever it uses to determine the dump partition location
at that point, to not accidently dump onto another part of the disk?

--
Bernd Sieker

A _Real_ Operating System for _Real_ Hackers.
		-- Greywolf